I'm having a problem…

Linking system volume to itunes volume

The reason I was using this program was because it linked system volume to itunes volume. The update gets rid of this feature. Is there anyway I can download the old version?

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DavidDavid shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    YogiAdminYogi (Admin, Volume for iTunes) responded  · 

Sorry for such a delay everyone. The main problem is this: The existing app is not sandboxed, and because of that, it has the ability to read presses of the volume key. Apple has required sandboxing for quite some time now, but I’ve been able to slip things by them under the guise of bug fixes. Unfortunately they’ve caught on and are now requiring any updates I submit to be sandboxed.

What this means is that the next version of Volume for iTunes won’t be able to detect presses of the volume keys. It will have to default to something else like Cmd + F12 (which is just Cmd + Fn + volume). I will setup an option to download a helper app that will once again allow volume key functioning, but that will be an additional step that you as users must do, it’s not something that can be setup through the App Store.

If it helps, I believe you can now download an old version of the app where the volume is linked. Note that the earlier versions have a few bugs in them and don’t support every configuration.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TonyTony commented  · 

Better late than never! I'd be okay with that solution. I kind of would like the option to pick and choose which method of control I want to use interchangeably.

• AJAJ commented  · 

Just an additional vote for linking the two together. It is also what I found so attractive about the previous version. A simple revision with a single option to toggle between the two behaviors would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• DavidDavid commented  · 

It works with Mountain Lion. Are you running that OSX?

• Patrick RushtonPatrick Rushton commented  · 

Any news on the mentioned update which will provide this as an option?

• anonanon commented  · 

yes, is the update coming? or is there a way to download the earlier version?

• Anonymous commented  · 

when can we expect the update?

It's fixed! Thank you.

• RyanRyan commented  · 

I would also appreciate this feature (linking the system volume to the iTunes volume).

I thought this was the main function of the software. I would also like to download the older version. And I am eager for the next version which will reintroduce this functionality.

• IsnieIsnie commented  · 

The linked system volume was also why I used the program. I was really really happy with your app, now I regret I updated to 1.2.

• TonyTony commented  · 

I'm sorry to hear you didn't receive enough positive feedback regarding the linked volume feature. That's why I use the program as well; for the linked volume. I'm glad to hear there's some additional features in a future release! I'm a huge fan of simple, low profile tweaks like these.

• JackJack commented  · 

I used Time Machine to restore the old version from before I installed the update, you have to have your external drive plugged in for previous versions of Applications though. Also watch out for App Store trying to update it again.

Is there any estimate of when the new version with the option will be available?
        Absolutely fantastic app, when the volumes are linked!

• YogiAdminYogi (Admin, Volume for iTunes) commented  · 

Bart, I actually received a lot of complaints about it changing the system volume, and very little positive feedback.

There will be a lot of changes in the next version, one of which will be a setting for linked system volume.

• BartBart commented  · 

yeah, i'm also surprised to see this feature gone, it was the reason i installed this app in the first place

• YogiAdminYogi (Admin, Volume for iTunes) commented  · 

David, sorry I don't think there's a way to download the old version. I'll try to include this functionality in the future as a few people have requested it.

For now, you can adjust the system volume while Volume for iTunes is enabled by using the command key along with the volume keys.

Feedback and Knowledge Base